Sunday, January 13, 2008

More Miles? Or, More Hills?

I went on my first DFMC group run this morning (since the "First Timers" run way back when). There were a couple different out and back routes through Lincoln and Waltham - one 11.9 miles, another 12.7 miles and another 15 miles, which combined both the 11.9 and 12.7 out and back. It was a great morning for a run. Definitely cold-ish out, but it was great to run in the burbs. Most exciting part of a rural run? Having four baby deer cross the street in front of us! Yes, without my glasses on, I thought one of the deer was a dog, clearly marking my dire need to start training on long runs while wearing contacts so I can actually see people cheering us on during the actual marathon. I have realized that my non-runner friends are not really interested in my blog, specifically, in the cult-like behaviors that runners exhibit over time. So, my descriptions of these group runs, although memorable, are going to be somewhat limited because some things just should stay on the road. I guess I will just mention the "lessons" I learned on my group run this morning:

1) I need a new ring tone for my cell phone alarm. Songs by my favorite Spanish rock group (Mana) are now incorporated into my early morning dreams. I need something more annoying.

2) I hate Orange Gatorade. It makes me nauseous, and reminds me of the crappy orangeade stuff you used to get at McDonalds as a kid. I need to stick to Lemon-Lime and Fruit Punch flavors from now on...and yes, I learned that the hard way.

3) I have a new running friend...Lauren! She and I kept the same pace, are both first timers, and had similar thoughts on many running mysteries. We both don't like *too* many layers when we run cause we both get very hot too quickly. But, we both also realized that our butts are the only parts of our bodies that are cold on a long run. As I said, some stories should be left on the road...this one was just too awkward and random for me not to share it with you all.

4) Lauren and I would rather run a longer distance (the 12.7 mile) route to avoid a hillier (11.9 mile) route. We also realized that Boston probably isn't the best marathon to be running if we aren't in love with hills...yet.

5) Gu is better than PowerGel on any given day. On a similar note, peanut M&M's are my new refueling food of choice.

6) The Dana Farber Marathon Challenge runners and their friends are by far the nicest and most motivating group of people I have EVER met. EVER met.

7) I just broke 900bucks in donations this weekend thanks to a donation from a family member (a check not yet counted into my website yet)! Please keep the donations coming and donate here!

2 comments:

tyler513 said...

Yes Linds, I suggest that you run with as close to 20/20 vision as possible. Not only to see deer crossing your path, but potholes too!
I'm with you on the Gu vs. Power-Gel.
Never thought of the Orange Gatorade/McDonalds comparison... thanks, now I'll never drink the stuff again.
Hills are our friends and we have to treat them as such.
Cold butts... yeah, it comes with the gig, but would you rather have a well toned cold one from running or a not so toned one from sitting on it?
GREAT job on the fundraising! You're on your way, and there's more to come! Keep it up!

Lauren Krzynowek said...

Ha, I wrote about cold butts in my blog too... It's a mystery I'll never understand! Thanks for running with me and keeping me company for all those miles. Let me know if you want to get together to run this weekend or any other time for that matter. Happy training!