Friday, March 14, 2008

Wanna Bet? I am Ciderly Yours.

I was recently propositioned. No, I was not propositioned by Client #9, but by my friend Chris, AKA "TLB", AKA "Radar". Chris was one of my cross country co-captains in high school, and now is one of the fastest distance runners that I know. When I ran the BAA Half last October, I just barely broke the 2hr mark (1:58), and I learned that I need to break 1:50 in a half marathon to be on track for my goal of a four hour marathon. So Chris made a bet with me. If I break 1:50 (based on my watch time, not official time b/c official time will be off a bit) in the New Bedford Half on Sunday, he will double his donation. I explained this bet to one of my best friends from college, Jay in Chicago. He told me he would double his donation as well. Anyone else want to jump on this Vegas bandwagon?

On another note, I've realized that I have become quite the cider drinker. This whole running phenomenon is still new to me, but I am catching on slowly. My DFMC running buddies do intense workouts, then have one, maybe two glasses of water to rehydrate, and then break out the beer within an hour of the workout. This is pretty standard behavior for runners across the country. Given that I am the gluten girl (gluten free entry to follow at a later date), I cannot fully participate in this beer drinking scenario. But, I also know that if I went drink for drink with them with my vodka sodas, I would end up hugging porcelain. Instead, I keep up with them with cider.

I had my long awaited summer intern reunion last night. Again, as the people around me drank their beers, I attempted to keep up with my fermented apple juice. I should own stock in Magners by the end of this marathon training. We had a good showing - Denture McGov, Khush, Wax Smilin' Sar, Murph, Seth, and Alex Copperfield. After seeing all of them, I realized that I am thoroughly looking forward to the last six miles of the marathon. (WHAT?) These loyal cheerleaders will be along the route at BC Law/Centre Street, BC @ Lake Street, Comm and Mass Ave, and then at Hereford b/w Comm and Newbury. I would hope that when my intern loves finish some of their day's worth of boozing, they'll meet me at Copley, within an hour of me finishing, with an ice cold Magners. YUM!

No comments: