Saturday, October 11, 2008

Gluten for Punishment

I know I am pulling a Jeff by posting a link to a New York Times article right now. Well, the NY Times spotlighted Gluten Free athletes in this article from Thursday. I wish I could go back to my days of high school cross country cause I am convinced that my PRs were after nights of eating tacos and rice rather than my binges on gross Vinny Testa's pasta....

Favorite quote?

“It was like doping,” Winsberg, 42, said. “Suddenly I was running six-minute miles instead of nine-minute miles. Before I had placed in the bottom third in triathlons. Four weeks gluten free, and I placed second in a triathlon. It was like reverse aging. I went from feeling 38 to 28 to 18.”

So maybe gluten free diets truly are the new blood doping? If so, I will rightfully earn the chance to wear a running skirt and pink shirt during tomorrow's Half. Wish me luck :)

No comments: